Thursday, November 24, 2016

November 24,2016 Happy White Thanksgiving!

My new companion, Hermana Chavez, and I ate at this really cool burger joint the other day. The wall behind us says "Brooklyn Center" 




We decorated our apartment the other day for Christmas. We found a bunch of decorations in our closet, and were a little too excited to decorate. 

(Family.. does that couch look familiar to any of you?? Haha it looks like the one that used to be in our play room) 

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos! First off, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!! My p-day got switched to today, so that's why I didn't write on Monday. I hope all of you are having a happy thanksgiving! 
     I have been here in North Minneapolis for a week now and I love it! It's definitely different than where I was before, but I am enjoying it thus far. My area covers basically just a lot of the cities north of Minneapolis. There are a lot more Hispanics here than in the Lakeville area; the ward is so huge here!! It's so awesome seeing so many faithful saints at church. We translate into English every Sunday, because there are some people that come to our ward that only speak English. So, I had the opportunity to help translate from Spanish into English. It's definitely a lot harder than I thought. It takes a lot of thinking and concentration, and I kept wanting to say everything in Spanish ha-ha. 
     


The snow FINALLY came!! So happy white Thanksgiving! This is my first White Thanksgiving, so it's really exciting! I really do love looking out the window and seeing the snow. It's so pretty, yet so cold. And, yes, I know. It's going to get colder and colder here in Minnesota. I am excited though, because I will have my first white Christmas here as well. Woo!! 
      There are a lot of investigators that we are teaching right now, because our area is so big. We have some pretty solid people that we are working with that are progressing towards baptism. One of the favorite things that I love about being a missionary is the opportunity that I have to watch people's lives change as they learn about the gospel. The difference is indescribable, and the light that comes and lights up their lives is amazing!
      We have been working with a lot of less active members and recent converts this last week. One of the recent converts that we've visited a couple times is Pakito. He was baptized back in May. He's younger, around 12 years old. He's suuuper awesome! He hasn't been able to come to church that often, because of different reasons. But, they are planning on coming to church this Sunday and the other ward activities. There's another recent converts José Luis who is just solid. His is going to be receiving the Melchizedek Priesthood soon. We have dinner with them every Tuesday. I've learned so much from him; he has such a strong testimony. 

This is Carmencita


We taught her how to take a "selfie" haha. She thought it was really funny. 


















One of my favorite people so far is this older lady from Peru, Carmencita! She is just the sweetest thing. She loves telling us jokes and laughing. When we got to her apartment building and we were walking to the hall, she yelled: "march!!" (In Spanish). For some reason, she just love seeing us march all the way down the hall ha-ha. And she also joins in with us. She is a convert as well, but she was baptized a while ago. She reminded me a little of my grandma smith for some reason, so it's fun visiting her.
      We've also had a lot of cool finding experiences this last week as well! With it being holiday season, we have gone contacting at the stores. Surprisingly we've had a lot of success meeting people that want us to share more with them. I am excited to see what will come out of the couple people that we were able to talk to!
    This morning I was ready in Alma 26, and I came across the perfect verses for Thanksgiving! In verses 35-37, it says: 
"35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

36 Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a branch of the tree of Israel, and has been lost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land.

37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen."
I absolutely love these scriptures because I think like they perfectly explain how I feel. I am so incredibly grateful for my family, especially my parents. I am grateful that I grew up in the church. I honestly couldn't imagine who I would be or where I would be without it. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have a loving Heavenly Father and Mother in Heaven who are also cheering me on as well. I am grateful that Jesus Christ unselfishly came to this earth to atone for all of us, so that we may live again. I could go on and on, because there are so many things to be thankful for! I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to be a missionary right now, and that I can share this happy message with the people here!! 

   Again, Happy Thanksgiving!! I love you all so much! But more importantly, Heavenly Father and his son, Jesus Christ love you all so much more!! 

Love, Hermana Duvall
Hermana Duvall 
Minnesota Minneapolis Mission





 Random bridge that we were going over the other day hahaha






No comments:

Post a Comment