Wednesday, July 6, 2016

July 6, 2016 “Turn outward, not Inward”

Hola mis amigos y mi familia!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July! Here in the CCM they decorated the comedor with Red, white, and blue table clothes and we had burgers, fries, and fruit, and cupcakes decorated with the American Flag on it! It was definitely different being away from home, but it was a special day for me!

I will be leaving the CCM here in Mexico next Wednesday! My flight leaves Mexico at 6 am, and then I have a layover in Dallas, and then I will be in Minnesota!! I am so so excited and maybe just a little bit nervous!

I forgot to mention that last week in Sacrament meeting Hermana Anderson and I got to perform a musical number. I sang Joseph Smiths First Prayer (in Espoñal) and she played the piano! I know that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God!! I know that he translated the Book of Mormon through the Power of God!!

This last week wasn't too different than all of the other weeks here in the CCM. Our schedule actually got changed around, but luckily our P-day stayed the same! More and more missionaries are getting here every week. It is just so exciting to see how many missionaries there are ready and willing to serve the Lord. I just think the fact that so many 18 and 19 year olds are willing to put their lives on hold to serve others is just a testament that there must be something good about this church, right? Well the answer is that it's because this church is true!

Hermana Anderson taught several lessons this week. Actually I should just say that we weren't the teachers, the Holy Ghost was.  I have learned how important it is to teach lessons with the Spirit and how important it is to follow the Spirit, not just in lessons but in my everyday life!! One of my favorite lessons this week was with Franklin! We taught him about the Atonement of Jesus Christ! We had a miembro (Hermana Kindall) sit in on the lesson with us, and when she bore her testimony about the Atonement and how it has blessed her life it brought the spirit even stronger into the lesson! Overall, throughout all of the lessons that I have taught, it is just so amazing and wonderful to see the change in the investigadores. This gospel can change lives, and Christ can help you become someone you never thought you could become, if you just turn to him and let him!


This last Sunday night, I had the opportunity to listen/watch a talk that was given by Elder Bednar on Christmas 2011 in the MTC in Provo.  He talked about the Character of Christ! (Literally one of my favorite talks that I have ever heard). But I just wanted to share my thought with you all about it.  What is the character of Christ? Elder Bednar said that is when Christ turns outward, and when we, and our natural man, turn inward. There are so many instances where the Character of Christ is shown in the scriptures, but there are few that really just stand out to me.  After Christ atoned for all of the pains, sicknesses, temptations, afflictions, and sins of EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the Garden of Gethsemane, he was betrayed by one of His apostles, and, amongst all of this one of the soldiers ears got cut off. Again, Christ had just suffered to the point where he sweat blood out of his pores (just imagine the pain) and what did he do? He healed the soldier’s ear!!! What would we do? Probably think, I am too tired or still in too much pain. BUT HERE Christ turned outward, when we would turn inwards. Lastly, In Luke 23, it takes about when Christ was crucified. In this chapters there are so many characteristics of Christ that are exemplified, however, I want to point out two of them.  First, Christ was spit on, beaten, had drilled into him, had thorns on his head, and was rejected by his own people. Yet instead of being mad, he says to the Father, "Forgive them for they know not what they do." That is just the ultimate example of love and turning outward, when we would turn inwards.  Also, when he's on the cross he comforts the two thieves that were beside him and said “Verily, I say unto thee today shalt thou be with me in paradise." He comforted them, even though he was in so much pain.

So I would just like to put a challenge out there.  Turn outwards, help those around you. Literally think, what would Jesus do? I know it's difficult, but we have the PERFECT example to follow.  I know that my Savior lives. I am so grateful for this knowledge that I have, and that I get to go share this wonderful news with the people in Minnesota! This time next week I will be there!

I love you all, but most importantly Heavenly Father Loves you SO MUCH MORE!

Adiós,
Hermana Duvall


This juice is really good!  So here's a picture of me with some jugo.
Hermana Anderson and I took some time to study Espoñal last P-day, June 29th. Here was the end result of us practically going crazy trying to just understand Spanish!



No comments:

Post a Comment