Monday, July 18, 2016

July 18th, 2016 First week in Minnesota

Hello friends and family! So I made it here to Minnesota! I love it here. My companion is Hermana Brittner. I got so lucky to have to her as my trainer. She's from the San Francisco area. So we were both from California, the coolest place ever. We are living with members, the Jensens, and they are super nice!

The weather here surprisingly hasn't been super hot. It's actually been quite nice! But apparently this week on Tuesday through Friday it's going to be over 100 degrees because of the humidity. So we have to make sure we stay hydrated and have sunscreen. But luckily we have a car, so we won't be biking!

The first night here we ate dinner with the Olvera family. And I couldn't understand anything haha, but they were a super nice family! So that was my first experience here in Minnesota. On Thursday we visited with a recent convert named Leonor. She's an older lady from Spain, so her vocabulary is a little different than what I know; sadly, so found out that morning that her son passed away. But we have visited with her a couple times, sharing messages about the amazing Plan of Salvation and about the atonement of Jesus Christ.

On Friday, we were knocking doors and we went up to a house thinking they were Hispanic, but they weren't. His name was Jeff, and he said that he would be interested in learning more about our church. So we gave him to the English sisters and they've taught him a couple of lessons. He said that we found him at the exact time that he has been wanting more religion in his life!!! There are no coincidences.

Another cool experience that we had was that we were following up with a referral. It was a girl her wanted a Bible. So we took the bible to her, but she apparently never asked for it, but that's another story because her parents are actually about to open a church. Anyways, she had a friend, Alex, who was super interested in finding out more about our church. We ending up teaching him the first lesson, the Restoration. He doesn't live in our area and wouldn't tell us exactly where he lives, so we are hoping the missionaries in the area that he lives will be able to find him! He said he would read the Book of Mormon. We probably will never find out what happens with him, but there are no coincidences and I know that we met him for a reason.

We have once date set with a guy named Andy. I haven't met with him yet since I've been here, but we are teaching him later today, and I'm excited to meet him!

So overall, all I really have to say now is just that I love it here so much! I love the people here, especially all of the Latinos because they are just so nice. The food is amazing. Yesterday I had some of the best fish tacos ever, they were like heaven. Spanish is difficult, but I can understand more than I thought. I know it will come eventually as long as I rely on my savior and continue to press forward with faith.

I want to share a scripture that has helped me here. It's in Proverbs 3:5-6, and it says " Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." That scripture is just the best, because our Savior Jesus Christ really does know what's the best for us. As we learn to make our will more aligned with his will, we will be so much happier and our life will just be so much better! This is definitely something that I have learned here, and I know it's something that we continually learn throughout our lives.

I love being a missionary, and I am so grateful for this opportunity and privilege that I have to share this happy news with the people here! Love you all but most important Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love you so much more!! Con Amor, Hermana Duvall

So today we had our zone meetings and district meetings so sorry that I have been on and off here.

In between the meetings Hermana Brittner and I had the chance to teach a lesson to Andy! Andy has a date set to be baptized in August. Today we taught him about the Word of Wisdom and the blessings that come from living the word of Wisdom.  He was a little sad to think about giving up coffee, but apparently he hasn't been drinking coffee for the past 3 months! That was awesome to hear! God really does prepare some of his children to be ready! This lesson with him was just awesome. He is such a sweet guy, and has been able to recognize the happiness that this gospel is bringing him. Also, he asked me how long I have been speaking Spanish, and I told him 6 weeks! He was very surprised to hear that, and said that I am learning very quickly! That was so nice of him to say, because my Spanish is a little rough but esta bien.

No comments:

Post a Comment