Thursday, November 23, 2017

November 23, 2017 Feliz dia de acción de gracias!

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos! 
 

we took advantage of the warmer weather to go chalking! 

  HAPPY THANKSGIVING (feliz día de acción de gracias, espero que coman mucho pavo hoy)!! Our pday got switched from Monday to today so that we would be able to enjoy our day with all the members here and use our time more effectively. Due to Pday being switched, SO much has happened in the last week and a half!!
   

Hermana Tietz

  We saw so many miracles and it's been so humbling and amazing to see the work here pick up! We've been able to find so many more people to teach. We've been working really hard the past few months, and it's nice to see some results come of it. We had a lesson with Francisco and 3 of his nephews last week about baptism and following Jesus Christ. The three little nephews were all joking that they were going to go home and baptized each other in their bathtub haha. Randomly in the middle of the lesson,

Francisco!!!!!

Francisco ran away and came back with picture that we took on the day of his baptism. He explained to his nephews how happy and clean he felt. This melted my heart and made me so happy. It truly is amazing how living and becoming converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ changes lives! Also, Francisco asked us if we could look up if there was a church building in his pueblo where he's from because he wants to tell his family who lives there to go. We looked it up and there's a ward that meets in his little pueblito. When we told him that he stared crying because he was SO HAPPY. I may or may not have been tearing up as well.
 

"happy cows"
- says hermana Tietz when she sees cows grazing in the fields

  We also had some really crazy, funny experiences haha. The highlight of crazy experiences this week is that we met a lady who literally thought she is GOD! We met her last week and set up an appointment with her. So, we went to her house on Monday and the lesson started out pretty normal and then it turned this kind little old lady turned flipped like a 180 and turned into a different person. She literally thought she was God and was upset when she asked if we believed her and we said no. Her logic was pretty out there and overall it was just a crazy funny lesson. She said the purpose of this life is to "eat, drink, and be merry.." and that she knows everything in this life there is to know. I had to stop myself from laughing at the end of the lesson and I turned it into a cough because I was just sitting there thinking "is this really happening?" Anyways, Hermana Tietz and I walked out of there just shocked because she was crazy.
 

Goodbyes are so sad! I've been visiting
sweet Mona for the last 6 months. Love her dearly. 

  I gave a talk this last Sunday on gratitude, more specifically about what I have learned about it on my mission. I was super grateful for the opportunity to give this talk, because I was reminded and able to recognize all that I have learned about Gratitude on my mission. I found this quote as I was preparing for my talk that put into words what I wanted to share:
 "True gratitude is the ability to humbly see, feel, and even receive love.​​​​ Gratitude is a form of returning love to God. Recognize His hand, tell Him so, express your love to Him.​​​​ As you come to truly know the Lord, you will find an intimate, sacred relationship built on trust. You will come to know He understands your anguish​​​​ and will, in compassion, always respond to you in love.
​​​​Receive it. ​Feel​ it. It is not enough just to know that God loves you. The gift is to be ​felt​ continually day by day.​​​​ It will then be a divine motivator throughout your life. Repent. Remove any worldliness from your life,​​​​ including anger. Receive a continual remission of your sins,​​​​ and you will bridle all your passions and be filled with love.​​"
I LOVE this quote so much. It really isn't enough just to know that God loves us, we need to receive it, feel it, and RETURN this love to Him. There are so many ways that we can do this: using the Atonement of Jesus Christ and showing God that we are actually thankful for that great sacrifice, submitting ourselves to His will by following the example of Jesus Christ (Not my will, but thine, be done.), turning outwards to help all those around us, expressing daily gratitude in sincere prayer..etc. I believe that there is one common theme between all of these: action. We need to actively give gratitude to God, so that He can have joy as well! I hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving and look for ways that YOU can give joy to our merciful father in Heaven :)

Love you all! Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ love you so much more!

Con amor,
Hermana Duvall


we drove out to work with the Kasson sisters last week!
We were going to visit a Hispanic family but we ended
 up finding a family that moved here recently
 and are members of our church! It was definitely
a miracle that we stopped by this random
house in the middle of nowhere

Candy! We recently started teaching her and she's so great! 


Hermana Ortiz.
She's one of my favorite members here in Rochester.
I love learning from her and hearing all of her amazing stories


Sister Bly!
She is a boss when it comes to the scriptures.
 I look up to her so much.


I've been teaching Karl the whole time
 I've been here in Rochester and the Prices
have been amazing with coming to lessons with us!


Los Hermosillo. I'm going to miss them so much. 



No comments:

Post a Comment