Monday, October 10, 2016

10-10-2016 "Warming up hearts through music and tights" Hola mi familia y mis amigos!

   I can't believe that I am finally saying this... But this week I wore tights. I've been trying for a while to not accept the fact that it's getting colder and colder every day, but the other day I just had to put on tights. Minnesota's fall is here (and in my mind it seems like California's winter weather). So yay for the cold and tights. Soon enough I will have to be wearing boots, lots of layers, and a huge coat! A member told me that it is supposed to snow this Friday.. knock on wood please!


Hermana Duvall with her new companion,
Hermana Rowland 

Hermana Rowland!! She's from Utah.
Loves theater and loves to sing.
We have lots of fun together!



   Hermana Rowland is my new companion, and I love her so much already! She served here in Lakeville back in October of last year to February of this year, so she knows the members and the area pretty well. This first week has been super fun! One thing that we love doing is singing hymns for people, and it has opened a lot of doors and opportunities this week! Music really does open and soften hearts. For example, this week we were trying to visit this lady named Janeth, but Janeth wasn't home. Her mother-in-law, Francisca answered the door.  Right when she opened the door, Francisca just flat out told us that she was not interested in hearing what we had to say. So, we just asked her if we could sing her a hymn! She let us inside, we sang her a hymn, and then said a prayer with her. And then right as we finished the prayer, Janeth walked in the door! We had a short little discussion with her, and then they both said we could come back! Music changes hearts!

   We weren't able to see Chantel this week. She's been really busy with work and taking care of her kids. She still has a desire to learn; we are probably just going to have to push her date back though because she hasn't come to church yet. 
   On Wednesday we finally got to meet a lady named Maribel. Hermana Brittner and I had been trying to contact her for the past month or so. Then, Hermana Rowland and I finally got to meet her! She was a referral from a long time ago. We taught her about prophets and revelation for the world. She was interested in what we were teaching her, and are going to try back again this week!
We finally had the chance to teach Marian again! She really has a lot of faith and desire to serve God. She has been reading in the Book of Mormon a little bit, but still hasn't prayed about it. She expressed that she loves when we come over, and really wants us to help her understand her purpose in this life! We are hopefully going to see her this week! 
    A couple of weeks ago, we met a lady named Patty Lara. We had an awesome lesson with her, and she was super excited to read and pray about the Book of Mormon! On Saturday, Hermana Rowland and I helped them move houses from Burnsville to Apple Valley. It was super fun helping her unpack all of her things, especially decorations. She had me walk around her house putting pictures, lamps, rugs, etc. where ever I thought they should go. I was basically decorating her house. It was so fun! Patty is awesome! When we were with her she expressed that she wants to learn more so hopefully when things settle down with her moving we can have another lesson with her.

The Montecillo Menor Family!!! Love them so much!  They are hilarious!


    Hermana Rowland and I had the pleasure of teaching the Sunday School lesson and the lesson in Relief Society. So that was fun! Both of the lessons had a similar topic. They were both about strengthening families and how we can do so. Families are so important. I am so grateful for my parents who taught me the importance of relying on the simple truths of the gospel and continually strengthening my own testimony through scripture study and personal prayer! 
     I've been reading through the general conference talks from this last general conference this week. One really stuck out to me. It's by Elder M. Russell Ballard and it's called, "To Whom Shall We Go?" In his talk, he spoke about how there were some of Christ's disciples who chose to not walk with Him anymore because it was too hard for them to follow His teachings. They let their doubts or concerns overcome the things they believed and knew to be true. Christ notices that many of his disciples were choosing to go away, and in John 6:66-67 it says: "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?" 
The question "Will Ye also go away?" sticks out to me. But I would like to add "Will ye choose to stay with me?" Sometimes it is hard to continually follow Christ and His teachings as we are trying to climb a steep, rocky mountain and we may perhaps keep falling. But, what is our ultimate goal when we get to the top of the mountain? Where do we want to end up? For me, I want to make it to the Celestial Kingdom with all my family. I want to be able to live again in the presence of my Heavenly Parents. That is my goal; that is what keeps pushing me forward. The wonderful thing is that we don't have to do it alone either! Jesus Christ is always there to help me, and Heavenly Father will always answer my questions as I turn to Him in prayer. I know these things to be true. I know that we all have a divine role in this life, and sometimes it's difficult to keep moving forward as we try to figure it out. But I know just like that one cheesy quote (that I am going to change just a little bit): "Heavenly Father didn't say this life was going to be easy, He just said it was going to be worth it!" 
    I am so grateful to have this opportunity as a missionary to help others discover their divine worth and potential. I know that this can be found through the simple truths of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ offers us! Thank you everyone for all of your prayers and your support!
I love all of you. More importantly, Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ, love you all so much more! Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Hermana Duvall 

We always take pictures at Costco!

Sister Myer and Sister Card were my STL's
 (Sister Training Leaders)

Goodbye to Sister Card and Hermana Duvall


First Frost! 




"41*!  It got down to below freezing!"
 This California girl is getting nervous!





No comments:

Post a Comment